by Kevin & Nikki Jankelowitz Co Founders of Centred Meditation, Sydney CBD.
Let’s face it – most of us are pretty stressed out and we have reason to be. We live in a hectic world. We are subject to constant demands and pressures by our bosses, our colleagues, our clients, our partners, our parents, our children, and the list goes on.
What’s more, our senses are over-stimulated all day every day – visually by our computers, phones, TVs, and billboards, and audibly by traffic, music, construction, and alarms to name a few. Our fight or flight mode is continuously being triggered during the day as we react to perceived (mostly psychological) danger. And this has detrimental effects on our physical and mental health and well-being. Things like:
• Poor immunity
• Digestive problems including bloating, reflux, indigestion, diarrhoea and IBS
• Headaches due to tension held in the neck
• High blood pressure leading to increased risk of heart disease, heart attack and stroke
• Pain in body from excessive tension held in muscles;
• Skin that ages faster as blood is constantly being drawn away from the skin towards the major muscle groups
• Impaired memory as it is not required in short term survival
• Poor or disturbed quality of sleep and/or difficulty falling asleep as the sympathetic nervous system is constantly aroused
• Reduced sex drive – sexual arousal is not required for short term survival
• Fertility issues
The question is: what can we do about it?
Meditation is one such solution. It is a simple mental technique that elicits the relaxation response. This is the process of de-escalating the stress response and inducing relaxation through the activation of the parasympathetic nervous system. Whilst the relaxation response is a normal and natural response that the body does automatically, it can also be voluntarily elicited when we choose it to be, such as when we sit down to meditate. When we meditate, our mind starts to de-bug itself and our body literally begins to repair itself.
Meditation has been an area of interest for researchers since the 1950s and even more so in the last decade. There are now thousands of scientific studies which all give rise to the countless benefits that regular meditation has on our health and well-being. Some researched benefits of meditation include:
• Increased focus and attention
• Improved learning ability and memory
• Enhanced decision making ability
• Heightened mental clarity
• Increased productivity
• Greater creativity
• Enhanced ability to process information
• Decreased feelings of anxiety and stress
• Lower tendency to worry
• Reduced anger
• Enhanced mood and emotional stability
• Improved sleep
• Higher longevity
• Improved immune and digestive function
• Reduced pain associated with stress (headaches, muscle tension, etc)
• Increased happiness
Our vision at Centred Meditation is to give urban professionals a greater sense of calm, clarity, and confidence. We do that by making meditation and mindfulness as accessible as possible through our corporate meditation studio and mindfulness program hub. We’re situated right in the heart of the CBD, our short 30 min guided sessions are conveniently scheduled throughout the day, and we have comfortable armchairs to melt into along with soothing scents and calming teas. Feel free to come check us out www.centredmeditation.com.au, or contact us email@example.com if you have any questions about whether meditation is for you. https://youtu.be/9dXdyevzOAk